20 January 2018

Report: Torquay United 0-4 Bromley

  • Men's
  • News

Bromley recorded an emphatic victory over basement outfit Torquay United at Plainmoor on Saturday afternoon, ensuring they ended the day in 7th place, in the playoff positions on goal difference.

In a first half which saw wet and windy conditions hamper the efforts of both sides. Though the Gulls dominated the opening stages of play, it would be Bromley who had the first attempt, with Josh Rees curling an effort straight into the arms of Ryan Clarke in the Torquay goal.

Soon after, a quickly taken corner saw Frankie Raymond feed the ball to Luke Wanadio, who, after finding space on the edge of the box, forced a great save from Clarke, who reacted quickly to tip his dipping shot out for a corner. Louis Dennis then had a great chance to open the scoring for Bromley, but after showing good strength to cut inside, he opted to go for goal at an angle, prompting Clarke into a good reaction save, but Omar Bugiel was in a great position in the six yard box, had Dennis cut it back.

However, the Ravens did eventually take the lead five minutes before half  time. Against the run of play, some outstanding work from the impressive Adam Mekki, which saw him embark on a mazy run in and out of several challenges, Dennis ran onto his through ball and shot at goal, only to see it saved. Yet, Dennis was in the right place at the right time to pick up and slot home at the second attempt.

After the break, The Yellows continued to press Bromley and broke forwards early on, with Elliott Romain going through on goal, only to see the sting taken out of his shot courtesy of a last ditch sliding tackle from Jack Holland.

On 61 minutes, the outstanding Mekki nearly scored a wonder goal. After receiving the ball 20 yards from goal, only one thing was in the winger’s mind, and he curled an effort destined for the top corner, only to see Clarke pull off an outstanding save, diving to his left to tip the effort out for a corner. From that corner, came another chance. A drilled delivery from Raymond was flicked towards goal by Bugiel, but Clarke was again on hand to tip it away from goal.

Soon after though, Bromley did double their lead, and it was Mekki who would get the goal he deserved. After running onto a through ball and working his way into the box, he sent a low drive into the bottom corner, sending Clarke the wrong way, who was expecting the shot to fall at his near post.

Six minutes after that, two would become three. After a cross was diverted into his path on the edge of the six yard box, the winger slotted home a first time effort, with Clarke helpless, as the home side began to crumble and lose the confidence they showed in the first half.

To make things worse for them, Bromley again extended their lead with ten minutes left. Scintillating skill from Raymond out wide saw him nutmeg his man and put the ball on a plate for Rees, who slotted home first time just outside the six yard area.

There was time for more drama late on, as Rees was bundled down in the box after receiving the ball from Dominic Vose, prompting the referee to point to the spot. Up stepped Dennis, but unfortunately for him, he saw a tame effort saved by Clarke, who dived down to his left and clutched the ball.

Bromley XI: Gregory, Rees, Chorley, Holland ©, Raymond (Vose), Dennis, Mekki, Sterling, Wanadio (Higgs), Woolfenden, Bugiel (Williams).

Unused subs: D.Johnson, R.Johnson.

Attendance: 1547 (70)

Sign up for our Newsletter